Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Monday, January 24, 2011

When the LONG becomes the SHORT

We are in the 12th week of marathon training...I can't believe it! The time has just FLOWN BY! When we started the training 3 months ago, "3 miles" was the LONG run. I think there was an occassional 1.5 mile run in the begining, and up until this week, there was a 2 and a 2.5 mile run thrown in there as well. Those days are no more. From here on out, there is nothing less than a 3 mile run! The 3 mile run is now the short run, and the long run this week is a 6 miler. I'm stoked to conquer that! I have always been comfortable running 3 miles, but I am now getting into a territory that I had panicked about when I browsed the entire schedule in the begining of all this. I have no doubts about participating (and completeting) the marathon itself, but for some reason the upcoming 8 mile run and the 20 mile run on the schedule have always freaked me out. I'm begining to have faith that I will be able to run the 8 miles comfortably, but the 20 mile (and many of the runs in the teens, for that matter) seem unreachable to me. But, as always, I will just keep plugging along, and have faith in the training program.

This past week was difficult and exciting all at the same time. As I mentioned in a previous post, Beatrice has been sick with a cold. She had a fever early on in the week that only lasted 24 hours, but she has a nasty cough and other cold syptoms that are hanging on, so I can't bring her to the childcare at the gym (or to church, waaa!). I have only made it to the gym 1x in the last week (and that was when my hunny could watch the kiddos). However, I rocked my runs old-school style this week. I busted out the double jogger and made it happen. Luckily, all of the runs last week were 3 miles, and Beatrice came with me on every one of them! I was able to do the hills fine, and it was so thrilling to have a new challenge. And then, on Saturday, I decided to let Rick sleep in, and I took BOTH kids in the double jogger and did my 3 mile run. This was A LOT harder! I had to be referee a few times, and Wyatt adds quite a bit of weight to the run! (Not that he is a chunker, it's just that he's 6!) But, despite the added "bonuses" I was able to run the ENTIRE 3 MILES non-stop! This was something I was 100% unable to do just 3 months ago!

I LOOOOOVE experiencing cool changes like that!!! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment