Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Fast...in general.

I have been told that my last blog post left some "wanting more," and since I have had two full days to reflect on the previous 40 days, I will share my perspective on both the personal and spiritual aspects of my journey.

Personally- I currently have a sense of excitement, a healthy dose of pride, and quite a bit of bloating (but that will have to be a separate blog post, LOL!). I know that I could not have done this without the strength and mercy from the Lord, the support from my husband (especially), and the other family and friends that were praying for me and encouraging me. Keeping that in mind, there were plenty of opportunities for me to fail, and I did not. I felt strong 39 days. I felt I could do this 39 days. I felt zero doubt for 39 of the 40 days. Day 39 was the first and only day that the true debilitating (mental) effects of fasting took hold. I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to make it the full 40 days on day 39. While that day was certainly NOT my favorite day on the fast, I am grateful for day 39. I think I would have felt like I cheated if I had walked away from the fast, and could honestly say, "It was basically a walk in the park." I am grateful for the moments of fear and doubt on day 39, for it only made my triumph that more meaningful. "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!"- Philippians 4:13.

Some random personal tidbits: 1. I can now drink regular V8 juice without pinching my nose closed. 2. EVERYTHING tastes 1,000 times better after not eating for 40 days. 3. I lost a total of 23 pounds while fasting (and 30 pounds even since beach camping.)

Spiritually- Just as a reminder, the reason that hundreds (possibly thousands?) of churches across our nation were fasting was to affirm the sanctity of Life (meaning, to put an end to abortion), Marriage (meaning, to keep or return the legal definition of marriage to be between one man and one woman), and Religious Freedom. All 3 of those reasons for fasting are of GREAT importance to me, and I have played an active role in publicizing these issues during 3 separate occasions in my life.

When I was just out of High School, I raised money for, and participated in a "walk" to end abortion. Shortly after that, I had an important person in my life that was faced with the decision on whether to have an abortion. She reached out to me (obviously knowing my stance). Unfortunately she decided to have the abortion. There was no fight, or debate, or verbal condemnation on my part, but at the time, we pretty much parted ways. It was bummer. I'm not sure how soon we came in contact again with one another (1 year, 2 years, later?), but we did, and we have remained GREAT friends! She is my ONLY great friend that does not share my religious views or my political beliefs, but one thing we both have in common is the regret from the decision she made on the day she terminated her first pregnancy. Her and her boyfriend (at the time) have since married, and have had 2 additional children...both of our children are the SAME.EXACT.AGES...just days apart. But her family does not feel complete without that first child in their life. :0(

As far as fighting for traditional marriage to remain/return in our Nation, I feel I played as active of a role as I was capable of, during our last set of elections back in November of 2008. I was given a list of specific streets in my precinct to visit, and since Beatrice was still a baby, I strapped her in a "front pack" and we went door to door asking my fellow neighbors/voters their stance on same-sex marriage...in hopes to engage in conversation and change their minds if they should oppose my opinion on the subject. ;0) In addition, I was one of those annoying people on myspace (what's that!?) that posted articles and my own personal opinions on the topic of same-sex marriage, and I reached out to my own friends and family and asked if they would be willing to sign the petitions that were needed to get the infamous "Proposition 8" on the ballot. (Which it did get on the ballot...and "Yes on 8" was successful on election day!)

As far as religious freedoms are concerned, I was on the leadership team in my High School's (Shout out to Mt. Carmel H.S. and my fellow "Sundevils"!) Christian Club, and I organized the "Pray at the Pole" rally in my Junior and Senior years of High School. In addition to that, my family prays without ceasing every time we eat in public, and prior to having children, I preferred to read my Bible amongst God's glorious creation either on the top of Mount Helix, or while enjoying the view at Mission Bay or Lake Murray. I have never encountered a problem while praying or reading my Bible in public, however, I understand that this happens to others on a regular basis. I have always been open about my religious views at school and in all of my places of employment, and while I have never been penalized (that I am aware of) for voicing those views (in a respectable, and when deemed appropriate, manner), I understand that I am in the minority.

Wow, I didn't intend to go into great detail about all of that. Back to my spiritual journey on the fast...

I prayed for those three topics every day, and I meditated on the positive and negative effects of those issues over the 40 days of fasting. But that is it. I guess we will learn the result of our fasting on election day and in the future days, weeks and years that follow. We, yes, we, need to continue to pray for our Nation always, and to take active (meaning, move your body) roles in supporting the causes we believe in.

Spiritually, I was in awe and empowered by the mercy that was given to me during this time. I.LOVE.TO.EAT. I thought this was going to be next to impossible. It was totally possible...through Him. Daily, I was very much aware of the grace that was being given to me, and in return, it became second nature for me to share that same grace with others. I tend to be judgmental (not always in the good way), and quick to criticize (in my mind, not verbally). And during the last 40 days it felt so freeing to give people the benefit of the doubt when things weren't done "correctly." I pray this trait isn't short lived.

In addition, I've been in a bit of a friendship-rut. My sister Jenni has ALWAYS been my #1 female bestie, and while I hope that NEVER changes, I always like to have a #2 bestie in place. Unfortunately, I can't eat, sleep, breathe, my sister Jenni, like I would prefer, so I think it's a good idea to have another outlet to put that energy into, LOL! I have spent the last 17 months praying for a new "#2" to come my way. I have spent all of those months in self discovery (what kind of friend am I?) as well. I "tried on" a few friends, but to no avail. Finding a #1 and a #2 bestie is a LOT like selecting your spouse. And, I even created a written list of the qualities I wanted in a #2 bestie (basically, could Jenni be cloned!? HAHAHA!). Well during this fast, I'm pretty sure God has answered, and is answering my prayer. Meaning...I'm on my way to having two #2 besties...bestie 2-A & bestie 2-B, LOL! (Yes, I am in the 7th grade!) A long time acquaintance, has made an impact in my life in these last few months, but most importantly in these last 40 days! She has been generous in words and in action. I have so appreciated her unexpected friendship (shout out to Katie)! However, she doesn't meet every single one of my requirements for a "#2." She isn't currently married. So, that left a spot open for "#2-B" (hee-hee). I'm a little apprehensive about going into to great detail about "#2-B" as we are still in the "dating" phase of our relationship, but I have wonderful hopes for our friendship, and on paper (my written list), she is perfect. :0) I have been patient and prayerful about my "#2" and in typical God fashion, He is full of surprise and wonderment. I am blessed for the budding and blooming relationships that formed over these last 40 days.

Some other random spiritual tidbits: 1. The spiritual effects I obtained from fasting, I would equate to the "mountain top experience" you get at a Christian retreat...only it doesn't cost any money, you still get to function in the real world, AND instead of the Spiritual high happening for 2+ days, it lasts for 40+ days. 2. I look forward to doing it again in the future!!!...just don't ask me to do it anytime soon! ;0)

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, you crack me up!! I know what you mean about the friend thing (only, my #1 has been my mom ever since I finally grew up). I wish I could be as efficient as you!

    I just have to say that I've enjoyed experiencing this "fasting-period" through you!! Over the last month or so I have found myself randomly thinking of you when I eat- and of course taking a moment to pray for you and for the cause. =)

    I love your blog- it blesses me so much to be able to peak through a window into the life of a fellow sister-in-Christ!

    God Bless!!
    ~Jes

    ReplyDelete