Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

9...

Day 9 was uneventful...just the way I like it! :0)

However, I did some research on Gallstones during the kids' nap-time today, and what I discovered was so interesting...

"The gallbladder is a small sac found just under the liver. It stores bile made by the liver. Bile helps you digest fats. Bile moves from the gallbladder to the small intestine through tubes called the cystic duct and common bile duct."

While it was neat to discover the purpose of the gallbladder, the more intriguing part was when it described the cause for gallstones...

"Gallstones form when cholesterol and other things found in bile make stones. They can also form if the gallbladder does not empty as it should. People who are overweight or who are trying to lose weight quickly are more likely to get gallstones."

HELLO! Sound familiar!?

While I am not trying to lose weight at a rapid pace right now, surely that has been a side effect of the fast. This might be the reason they say people should consult their physician before fasting for 40 days! LOL!

It also went on to say that I may never experience another attack again. However, if a 2nd attack should come, it means that future attacks will follow. Interesting.

I was talking to my friend this morning about this whole ordeal, and she had mentioned that this probably happened for a reason. And I know it did. As the fast has begun to wind down, I have started to feel anxious. On one hand I cannot wait to eat again! But on the other hand I am so nervous to be able to eat again! I don't know if I am going to be able to show restraint. As I have previously mentioned, in the research I had done for the fast, I had read that a 40 day fast can transform your relationship with food. Specifically, if you have a pattern of over indulging, that those desires and tendencies can be removed from your thought process.

But as the fasting-finish-line is approaching, I don't feel the least bit improved in this area. At this point in the fast, without making a big deal about it on the outside, on the inside I am very much aware of how I feel that I am "missing out" on eating certain foods. I have a (fairly big) piece of lasagna waiting for me in the freezer. I have 2 pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting that I made, waiting for me in the freezer. I have 2 mini Toblerone chocolate bars that I have saved in the freezer from the last wedding we went to. The other day I purchased a $15 "Groupon" for $35 worth of dining at "Parkhouse Eatery." What is Parkhouse Eatery?...I have no idea! However, the picture of the their food looked incredible! (I need to unsubscribe from Groupon while I am fasting...it's like going grocery shopping on an empty stomach!) I don't feel changed. I have been praying and pleading that I would be miraculously "healed" from this way of thinking and these desires. I have even uttered, "Lord, make it so I can't return to my destructive ways." Be careful what you ask for.


The information I read today about gallstones also went on to say that you could prevent future gallstones by:

  • Staying close to a healthy weight by eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise.
  • Avoid rapid weight loss. Intentional weight loss (dieting, as opposed to weight loss from illness) followed by weight gain may increase your risk of gallstones, especially if you are a woman. If you need to lose weight, do so slowly and sensibly.
I'm not trying to be melodramatic...I know that I will not die from gallstones or from even having my gallbladder removed. However, the pain I experienced yesterday will hopefully be enough motivation for me to ditch my old ways, and to enjoy treats (whether it be sweet, salty, or fatty) in moderation, and irregularly.

1 comment:

  1. The Parkhouse Eatery is right around the corner from my house...I can give you directions!! =)

    ReplyDelete