Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Monday, November 22, 2010

"Special Mom's Day"

Last night, as I was getting the kiddos out of the bath and ready for bed, Wyatt carefully comes to me and says, "Now mommy, I need to tell you...tomorrow is 'Special Mom's Day!'"

He had the biggest and proudest grin on his face.

Would you believe, the FIRST thing that came to my mind was to tell him that he was WRONG, and that "Mother's Day" is in May!? I'm a HORRIBLE person! But I had a (God given) moment of clarity, and realized:

1. Do NOT crush your son's spirit!
2. You do NOT need Hallmark to declare any day a holiday!

So, I mustered up some enthusiasm, and I told him, "Wow Wyatt, how neat!"

I then proceeded to put the littles to bed, and carried on with my evening chores.

I had a wonderful night of rest, Beatrice has FINALLY adjusted to the time change, and has been waking up sometime around 5:30am (instead of 4:15 am!), and Wyatt didn't wake up for almost an hour and a half after Beatrice! I had gotten Bea her breakfast, I had made the sugar cookie dough, and baked all of the cupcakes before Wyatt came BURSTING out of his room saying, "HAPPY SPECIAL MOM'S DAY!!!"

UGH! I had forgotten ALL about "Special Mom's Day"! I don't know if I didn't have faith that my almost 6 year-old son could carry a holiday all on his own, or if I was just too busy to remember. But I have to tell you, I will NEVER forget "Special Mom's Day" again! After a GIANT hug from Wyatt, he proceeded to take my order for breakfast..."Now, tell me what you want for breakfast, I will make you A.NY.THING. you want!"...a little frightened by his tone, I replied, "I'll have some Honey Nut Chex please."..."Oh, that's an easy one mom, are you sure?" (Yeah, I'm sure!)

After he brought me breakfast, and then made himself a bowl of grapes (???) for breakfast, he sat right next to me at the table, and then looked at me real serious. He said, "Mommy, I don't know how to put your clothes on you, so you are going to have to do that yourself." Hahahaha!

This is one of my favorite candid photos of Wyatt & I that was taken on "Mother's Day" in 2007.



Like-wise yesterday brought a special moment for me and my Beatrice. Some of my fondest childhood memories are the ones where I was cooking in the kitchen with my mom. Beatrice (with the aid of various baby contraptions) has been present on my back, my chest, my hip, and/or the kitchen counter for MANY baking occasions, but yesterday, she was promoted to "Sous Chef" and standed her ground on the official kitchen step ladder. We baked our first "just becuase" batch of Chocolate chip cookies together. She poured, she spilled, she measured, she spilled, she stirred, and she watched it all come together.



There is no better feeling than being around 3 of my favorite people on a wet Autumn Sunday afternoon, watching football, drinking hot mulled cider, and eating warm chocolate chip cookies together.

And at that point, I didn't even KNOW about "Special Mom's Day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment