Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Friday, November 5, 2010

Me Against the Machine

Well, some kind of exciting news...

1. I'm doing really good on the whole eating healthy thing. I gained those 3 pounds over the weekend, and while it has taken me all of this week to lose those 3lbs, I'm super stoked that my body did actually lose them. I thought for sure that I would gain back about 10 lbs after fasting...but I was hoping for no more than 5 lbs...just due to eating in general (healthy foods or not). I am so grateful that I can continue on the path to weight loss! :0)

2. A few weeks ago, I decided that I was going to run the Rock and Roll Marathon this coming year with any friends and family that would like to join me. I think there are about 10 +/- of us that are currently on board. I have never done anything like this before! I have ran a 5K before, but that was just me a couple of years ago pushing the kids in the stroller at Lake Murray. I have never ran amongst hundreds or thousands of people...and I certainly have never run anything close to 26.2 miles! I'm looking forward to the challenge. There is a strict training schedule that will assist me in meeting this goal. In addition, I plan to participate in some organized 5K & 10K races, and am highly considering doing Safari Park's (formerly, "The Wild Animal Park") first annual half marathon in March.

3. After not having a gym membership in over 8 years, I finally joined my local YMCA earlier this week. I thought I could do the marathon training without it, but I have been proven wrong. The kids are just getting too heavy for me to push in the stroller while running. Wyatt can run for a while but then he gets tired, and then our paces are different. I have been to the gym 3 times this week, and it's been pretty neat. It will definitely take some getting used to, to running on a treadmill versus running out in the open air. I feel a little bit like a mechanical robot running in place on this machine. But I will trade in feeling like a droid any day of the week for not having to push 70 pounds up hill in a stroller. Right now the Y has a deal for all Kaiser members that they wave your $99 "initiation" fee. In addition, they have very generous price breaks on the monthly dues for all families that make below a certain amount of money. In addition, they have tons of free (with your monthly membership fee) fitness classes for me, and for Wyatt too! The childcare is free, and everything is brand-spanking-new! The facility just opened a few months ago. I got my booty kicked in a Zumba class yesterday, and I look forward to trying the other classes as time permits with my marathon training. :0)

2 comments:

  1. I also have a Y membership....I love the Y. Zumba is my favorite and I also like the Spin classes!! Have fun at the YMCA!!

    ReplyDelete