Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Friday, December 10, 2010

"Say my name, say my name..."

So I am sure I'm not the only person that is considerably more aware of the people around you that share your same name. I have always loved to meet someone with my name, and becuase I'm ridiculous, I have occasionally enjoyed introducing myself as, "Elizabeth...like the Queen."

And I must say, this has been an interesting week for "Elizabeth's." My "Elizabeth" radar has been going nuts!

"Biggest Loser" Elizabeth- OK, so the show has been airing for more than just this week, but for the sake of this post, I will bring her up now. Is anyone else completely over her!? I have never been more irritated by a fellow Elizabeth! She is so difficult to watch. I keep expecting more from her, and yet she continues to be a blubbering (as in, emotional) mess. It's the exception when she gives it her all, and yet by the grace of some odd alliance, she keeps skating by. It's so annoying. And, very un-Queen-like!

Elizabeth Smart- Speaking of a blubbering mess...that was me...on March 12, 2003 when Elizabeth Smart was found ALIVE. I've always invested my attention and emotions into cases like this...Danielle Vandam, Chelsea King, etc. And I don't know if it was becuase she was my "name twin" or becuase pretty much no one (including myself) expected her to still be alive after 9 months of searching for her, but I was stunned, elated, and emotional as I heard the wonderful news on the radio when I was sitting at my desk at work. Today, FINALLY after 7+ years, Elizabeth Smart gets justice, and her capturer gets the guilty verdict that has never been more deserving.

Elizabeth Edwards- While I have never shared her political views (in fact, I am in complete opposition to them), I have always been fascinated by and compassionate towards Elizabeth Edwards. My interest in her started when I heard her name (DUH!), but then when I saw who she was married to (SO handsome! IMO), and that she had young children, and that her husband was running for president (at the time)...I was intrigued by this woman! Unfortunately her life became very unglamorous, and took a turn for the worse as she was not only battling cancer, but then had to acknowledge that she had unfaithful husband, and then had to deal with all of the drama that goes with a "baby daddy". There is SO much more to this woman than those little blurbs I mentioned, and I REALLY wish she would have used her time, and smarts for the beliefs and causes that I am passionate about, but, unfortunately, this week, on Tuesday, Elizabeth Edwards lost her fight with breast cancer. I really appreciated what I understand to be her final post on Facebook:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Replace her use of the word "hope" with the wonderful name of "Jesus Christ", and she is my kind of woman! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment