Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Biggest Winner...Naaaah, Loser

These days, things have been pretty bleak when it comes to "Elizabeth" and "weight loss." In fact, I don't think I can even use those two terms together in the same sentence, lol!

Here's an update on this aspect of my life...

I didn't make the time to blog about it, but about a month ago, my sister Jenni had given me their extra supplies of "Medi-Fast" that her and her husband weren't going to be using. I had never done a meal-supplement diet before, and since they were just giving me the stuff, I thought I would give it a whirl. The first few days were pretty easy. You are always excited about being on a new diet...you are hopeful. But by day 4, I was CRABBY-Crabberson, by day 5 I was making a delicious state dinner that I had no part in enjoying, and by day 7 I was at a birthday party with tempting food, and an AMAZING cake that I was not able to eat. It was a bummer.

But in those 7 days, I did manage to lose 11 pounds...so that was pretty cool. But like a LOSER, on day 8, I had a weak moment, and decided to eat something NOT on the diet (for the life of me, I can't remember what that was now), which then resulted in me deciding to take the rest of the day off of the diet.

On that day, someone who was quite familiar with the diet, had told me, "Oh no! You shouldn't have gone off of it! You will never be able to go back on it!"

I thought she was full of beans. I mean, does she know who I am!? (Yes, she literally does.) I have will power! I can do ANYTHING I put my mind to!

Except...she was right.

Monday, I tried to get back on it...I failed by 10am.

Tuesday, I tried to get back on it...I failed by 10am.

Wednesday...I knew I had MOPS (and the MOPS breakfast buffet)...I didn't even try, lol!

It was so frustrating. She was so right. In the week of doing the diet, all of the Medi-Fast food tasted totally edible and satisfying. But after I had tasted my temptations, I wasn't able to hack the Medi-Fast food again. :0(

I wasn't totally broken up about the Medi-Fast thing not working out though...I have never been a fan of meal-replacement diets. I don't think it's real life. And therefore, I don't think they are helpful in the long run (and apparently for me, even in the short term, lol).

But what I WAS bummed about, is that I had gained back those 11 pounds in the next 2 weeks! :0(

Prior to me even starting the Medi-Fast diet, I had signed up for a Biggest Loser weight loss competition that a friend of mine was hosting on facebook. The competition wasn't going to be starting for another month, but it was always looming in my mind. It was only $10 to participate, and since no one else I knew was participating in this competition, I figured, who cares if I lose...the only thing I'm out, is my $10.

But unfortunately, I made the mistake in telling my friend Katie about this competition, lol. Once I casually mentioned to her what I was going to be doing, she immediately wanted in! And not only did she want in, but she advertised it on her facebook, to which multiple mutual friends became interested in the competition as well. Oh goodness, the pressure, lol. There was more than just my $10 at stake now...there was also my pride, HAHAHAHA!

We all weighed-in last weekend, and the competition goes for 8 weeks...our final weigh-in is January 8th.

I think this is the best and the worst time of year for a weight loss competition. On one hand, I already have 8 parties/special-events to go to in December, how am I NOT going to indulge at those parties!? But on the other hand, I have 8 parties to go to in December...do I really want to be fatter than I am right now come January!?

So we'll see how this all works out.

This past week was the first week of the competition. I was sometimes "bad"...but mostly good (in comparison to what I have been in recent months), but there is definitely room for improvement. At the end of this first week, I am down 3 pounds.

Starting tomorrow (because all serious diets start on a Monday, haha!) I HOPE to be hardcore! I hope to stick to my allotted calories, and make it to the gym 5-6 days this week.

With 22 people in this competition...and namely Katie (the weight loss competition QUEEN!!!) I honestly don't think I will win. HOWEVER, I REALLY don't like the direction my scale has been going in these days, and I REALLY REALLY REALLY would like to be successful in my weight loss endeavors again.

The training for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon also started this past week, and I would love it if I were much fitter on race day!!!

I'll keep you posted. :0)

1 comment:

  1. I totally thought it was a friend of Katie's, lol

    I was scared away the minute I saw her on it, haha

    I am rootin' for you, E!

    ReplyDelete