Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Attention. Attention.

A couple of weeks ago I had mentioned that I had thought that I had injured my ankle(s) getting into a jacuzzi. In the last few weeks, the discomfort in my ankle while exercising has continued to grab my attention. As much as I HATED to admit it, I realized I needed to lay off of the ankle, and let it heal. I have 2 half-marathon races in the first quarter of next year, and in the next couple of months, I am going to have to start training (hard) for them. I need to be healthy for that. I had given myself a prescription of my own...I would take a 4 week sabbatical from all cardio exercise, and I would ice my ankles (primarily the right one) daily. However, my wise friend, 2-B, urged me to see my Doctor...in the event that something else should be done...I definitely wouldn't want to take a 4 week break, to only still be in pain at the end of my journey.

I went to the Doctor last Monday, and sure enough he confirmed that I have a sprain. He agreed with my prescription of a 4 week sabbatical, to ice my ankle, AND then he gave me a RX for an anti-inflammatory. I haven't seen my Doctor in 2 years, and when he referenced my health chart he went on and on about how proud he was of me for my weight loss. That was nice to hear. I am used to only having a Doctor harp on my weight gain.

SO, with no exercise happening for 4 weeks, I knew I had to bring my A-game in dieting, in order to not gain a bunch of weight. I have eaten so poorly over the summer that it has made my efforts in the gym 100% worthless on the scale. In addition, I planned to not abandon ALL forms of exercise...I can still lift weights with my upper body, and work my abdominals.

Last Monday, I was all pumped up and ready for this change. In true Monday-dieting-fashion, I was excited to start watching my calories again!

Monday was hard...but I got through it.

Tuesday was even harder...but I got through it.

Wednesday was a lot better!...but I faltered at the end of the day...UGH! I hate that I sacrificed ALL DAY to only blow it in the end. :0(

Thursday was a repeat of Wednesday...lame!

Friday through Sunday I was super busy doing all kinds of fun adventures and I abandoned my diet altogether. Dumb.

I worked out at home...ONCE! Dumb.

If there is good news to be had, it is that I didn't gain any weight this week...I stayed exactly the same. I had lost a bunch of weight the first 2 days, and then luckily I gained back no more than what I had lost. That's all I have to say about numbers.

On a personal/mental note...I totally thought I was going to go berserko by not exercising for 4 weeks! In the last year, I have made almost-daily exercise a priority in my life...which is the appropriate/healthy thing to do. But in the last few months, I have made almost-daily exercise TOO MUCH of a priority in my life. I went from exercising once a day, 6 days a week, to exercising most days twice a day! I was still able to accomplish all of my tasks in my home, and my responsibilities as a wife, mother, and daughter of the King...BUT without being willing to accept it at the time, I was making myself koo-koo! It was too much.

In this first week of no running around my neighborhood, and not a single appearance at the gym, I have been living.it.up! I am not rushing everyone in the morning to eat their breakfast so we can get a run in before school...and I am not frantic while cleaning up the dishes after dinner, just so I can make it to my class at the YMCA in the evening. I have worn make-up every day. :0) I have styled my hair every day. I have dressed nicely (anything is better than gym clothes, right?) every day. I have not only had time to read my Bible, but I also had time to read a fictional Novel...I haven't had a fun-read in at least a year!

"Attention. Attention."

You have my attention Lord. During this sabbatical I will make it a priority to work out a schedule that would be a balance between not enough exercise, and too much exercise. I need to focus less on exercise (NOT abandon...just cut it back), and focus more on what I am putting in to my mouth.

Rick has joined me this week on the diet...and so far we have been successful on both Monday and Tuesday. :0)

1 comment: