Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chubby Diary Indeed!

It's a good thing that I did not entitle this blog, "My Weight Loss Journal!" It seems that all I have been posting about lately are the delicious foods I am baking...and CONSUMING! Eeek!

And in order to keep with the trend, here is another one of those posts...

My sisters will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that last night was the first night that I have hosted an (intimate) dinner party for the first time in 6 years that did not include a family member as a guest! For the first couple of years in my marriage, I would have various people over for various reasons on a fairly regular basis. And even though Rick (my husband) is an introvert, and would rarely join my dinner parties, I would almost never let that stop me. He has always been supportive of my need to entertain. However, from the time we were blessed with our beautiful children, my entertaining days have now shifted from small random dinner parties, to over-the-top birthday parties and Thanksgiving Dinner in our home with family members exclusively...we have a LARGE family and a LITTLE home! :0) And between Rick's backward work/sleep schedule, and living on a tight budget, I have come to believe that entertaining outside of major "holidays" isn't really an option for me anymore.

A friend of mine casually mentioned to me last week that she would love to come over to my house and watch Big Brother (yes, I am a sinner!) together. My knee-jerk reaction was to brush it off, and pretend that I hadn't heard her request. After all, I have for some LAME reason, convinced myself that that isn't what I do anymore. However, the excitement began to build in my mind, and much to my surprise, when I approached my husband about having a small dinner party at our house on a night when he would have to work/sleep, he was more than agreeable...he was actually excited for me! (A man after my own heart!)

I absolutely LOVE to entertain! (If you have had the pleasure of being a guest at one of my mom's events, you would know where I get this from!) I love to browse through cookbooks and decide on a menu. I love to browse through the catalog in my mind to see what dishes and glasses and different serving pieces I should use. And I love to think about the "essence" of the event...what will my guests still be talking about when they leave my home. There is a sense of adrenaline...will I be able to accomplish the image in my mind??? I love the thrill and satisfaction of completing a GREAT dinner party!

Last night was a wonderful time with GREAT friends, and equally great food! ;0)

Our Menu:

Carolina Burgers- Angus burgers basted in a mustard BBQ sauce, a slice of Jack cheese, and a HEAPING pile of green onion slaw placed between a toasted bun.

French Fries

Vanilla Coconut Milkshakes with homemade whipped cream and toasted coconut on top.


One of my guests was kind enough to bring an additional treat..."Chocolate Dipped Cake Balls"...but that's a whole other blog post! ;0)

Who knows, in another 6 years, I may get up the courage to ask YOU over for dinner! :0)

5 comments:

  1. LOL! You had me laughing, salivating, and wanting to be a part of it, all at the same time! And, can I say that last night was the PERFECT BB episode to do that to! I meant to text you this morning about it...I can't wait for the next episode! My dinner parties are pretty much Tim cooking, eating off paper plates, and everyone putting their feet up on our couches...i'm ok with that, lol, but I am thinking people must love being pampered at yours! You are quite the hostess, E!

    xoxo,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you put all my parties in the last 15 years of my hosting life to shame... LOL sounds fun and I am glad that you had such a nice time, and the perfect husband for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veronica-

    I didn't know you watched BB also!!!! How exciting! We'll definitely have to text about it!

    Janet-

    1. I bet the guests that have been entertained in your home would strongly disagree with your first statement!

    2. And I have never known anyone to consistently open their home to others like your family does! You truly are the hostess with the mostess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be an event planner, Elizabeth. And oh my does that milkshake look divine!!!

    ReplyDelete