Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Vegas Baby!

The fact that I have ventured to Las Vegas twice in the last 6 months seems unreal to me since I hadn't been to Las Vegas in the 10 years prior to this! :-0

But both occasions have been for good (GREAT!) reasons...FAMILY! :0)

And actually, no offense to "Las Vegas," but the purpose of THIS trip was to celebrate the 30th birthday of my sister (shout out to Jenni!) and her husband (shout out to Desmon!), at a restaurant my mom considered to be the best she had ever dined at! And this particular restaurant just so happened to be located in Las Vegas. :0)

The invitation to a 2-day, 1-night, mini-vacay in Las Vegas was also extended to my husband, my brother, his girlfriend, my older sister, and her husband, but unfortunately, those five were unable to make it. :0(

So EARLY Saturday morning, while making SEVERAL pit-stops, my mom, Jenni, Desmon, and I jetted off to Vegas...



The time in the car (actually making progress toward our goal destination, lol) was my very favorite...





And finally, after getting gas, going back to the house, dropping off my sister's dog, 2 Starbucks runs, a trip to the Outlet Center in Primm, and a Gyro run for lunch...


...we arrived at our hotel...The Bellagio Hotel...in Las Vegas...



...where they have the amazing fountain shows right outside the hotel (not pictured), and they have the incredible garden sanctuary where frogs, bugs, and bees are brought to life out of flower creations...


...and where one of the most incredible chocolate shops EVER exists...yep, that would be dark, milk, and white chocolate flowing like a fountain!...



Even though we checked into the hotel, our rooms weren't available yet, so we ditched our luggage, and headed for their amazing spa facilities...





Steam room, sauna, and Jacuzzis GALORE!!! We were in relaxation HEAVEN!...



We stayed at the spa for as long as possible, but alas, we had to make our way to our guest rooms, to spruce up for dinner! :0)

2 hours later, we had new hair and make-up, we were off "The Strip", and standing in front of the infamous "Michael's" restaurant!!!






And then, moments later we were seated at our table...


...under a GORGEOUS (and MASSIVE!!!) stained glass sky light!...



Three of us at the table had NO idea what we were in for! It turns out this would be the most food I would ever consume in one sitting...EVER! Not to mention the very BEST of food consumed in one sitting! AND the longest amount of time spent at a table over the extent of one meal! I am convinced that this is how the Kings and their Queens, and all of their royal subjects dined at their banquet tables...eating in literally BIBLICAL proportions! A chubby girl's dream come true! ;0)

The first course- A huge relish tray sent to the table with a top secret cream dip, toasted pumpernickel cheese bread (not pictured), gigantic sweet crackers, and rose shaped butter...







The Second Course- Hot Appetisers. Others at the table enjoyed various DELICIOUS soups, but I selected a different favorite appetiser of mine...an amazing Maryland Lump Crab Cake!



The Third Course- Salad. Again, others chose different (and in this case, fancier) options than I...but I selected The Chef's Special Tossed Green Salad with hearts of palm...




The Fourth Course- a sorbet/champagne "float" of sorts. This tiny little palate cleanser had a delicious scoop of lemon sorbet, and then more-than-a-splash of Dom Perignon champagne poured over it. Mmmmmmm....



The Fifth Course- Main Entree. I selected the chef's special of the night which happened to be Au gratin Potatoes, and a Bone-In Filet Mignon. Oh, and I mustn't forget the bowl of mushroom cream sauce that accompanied my personal steak!...







As if that wasn't enough, we all sampled each other's dishes, and I must give a special shout-out to Desmon's side dish of Creamed Corn (!!!!)...the freshest of cream AND corn I have EVER tasted (not pictured)...and my mom's incredible plate of (creamy JUMBO) Shrimp Scampi...



The Sixth Course- Intentional Dessert. It was said on more than one occasion by Desmon (but to which I agreed whole-heartedly!) that we must always remember our goal of the night: Make it to dessert! LOL! Immediately next to our dining table sat a gorgeous cart of dessert, which the menu referred to as "Michael's Pastry Cart Fantasies"...Desmon and I had been eyeing the cakes...and berries...and whipped cream...and liqueurs...and, and, and...ALL NIGHT! And unlike Claim Jumper, and other restaurants, the items on this cart were REAL, and slices of cake were disappearing from the cart all night...yep, we were eyeing it THAT closely!! ;0)



But before we had the opportunity to select a freshly prepared dessert off of the menu, or a different dessert off of the pastry cart, our waiting staff surprised the birthday couple with humongous slices of Coconut Cake, and Tiramisu...






The Coconut Cake was something I was very excited about, so there was no need for me to pick anything else off of the cart, but Desmon had his sights set on the Strawberry Shortcake Cake :0)...



The Seventh (and final) Course- MORE Dessert! After our dessert had been consumed, and some of us were drinking our espresso beverages, we were surprised yet again with additional treats arriving to our table! A beautiful bowl of colorful fresh fruit, AND a sizable tray of various chocolate dipped fruit! :-0





A SECOND DESSERT COURSE!?!?!...Don't mind if we doooooooo....




But believe it or not...after 3 hours of eating...no other food arrived at our table (unless you count the gold foil wrapped chocolate mints, LOL!)!! We were STUFFED!...and EXHAUSTED, LOL!

So we headed back to our hotel on The Strip...


Most of us wouldn't have minded going straight to bed...and one of us did do exactly THAT (while chanting, "I'm 53! I get to go to bed! I'm 53! I get to go to bed!")...but Desmon had other plans in mind for us! My brother in law really enjoys Las Vegas, and he really enjoys going to the clubs in Las Vegas. And after a few years of my sister and I (playfully) teasing him about "clubbing in Vegas" this was his/our opportunity to go to a Vegas club together. So we did. Two different ones actually. :0) Jenni and I were super good sports, and even had a pretty good time. If my stomach hadn't been stretched to capacity from eating 7 courses over 3 hours, if my new (borrowed) shoes hadn't been giving me blisters on my toes, if I hadn't sworn off alcohol at the clubs, and if I hadn't been awake for 19 hours already, I think I might have had even a REALLY GREAT time!








But after 90 minutes total, I was able to check "Clubbing in Las Vegas (or in general)" off of my bucket list, and we returned to our rooms for sleepy slumber! :0)))

I NEVER sleep good in a hotel, but surprisingly on this occasion, I slept super solid! And after 6 hours of sleep, I got dressed in my workout clothes and marched my blistered feet to the hotel gym with my mama!

Once I completed a fairly decent run on the treadmill, we got ready for the day, and then met up with the birthday couple for breakfast, and our final escapades in Las Vegas.

But first, breakfast! Others enjoyed...





But this mama ALWAYS goes for "sweet" over "salty"!!!...


We decided to dine at The Aria hotel, where after breakfast, we cruised the shops...


...browsed through the sister location to the amazing chocolate shop in "our" hotel...yep, that would be a dragon made 100% from chocolate! :-0...



...and did our first (and only) gambling of the weekend. We each put $5 into separate quarter slot machines, and once I hit a MINI jackpot, I cashed out my machine at $21.75...I was STOKED! But theeeeeen my sister, after losing her $5, went to a different slot machine, put in a single dollar bill, pulled the handle, and won a $60 jackpot!!!!! :-0 She's always gotta out-do me! ;0) We were ALL happy!...well, maybe not ALL of us!...



And that was it for Vegas! We picked up our bags...picked up our car...and headed home!

Except...it wasn't that easy. Our (what should be a) 5 hour drive home, turned in to a traffic-ridden 9-1/2 hour drive! :0( Fortunately though, I was "stuck" in a car with really GREAT people who know how to have fun!!! There was far too much (additional) eating...too many road-trip discussion questions to count...and of course, plenty of time spent organizing the details of our next family vacation...our annual December trip to Big Bear!

Such amazing FUN was had...such incredible FUN to look forward to! :0)))

2 comments:

  1. EPIC blog Cheech!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be up there with one of my fav blogs. I literally laughed out loud at your smile in the "club hopping" pic it says I'm faking a smile for the camera. The meal sounds incredible happy bdays

    ReplyDelete