Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Dear Jesus of Delaware..."

What an adventurous week we had!

We were invited to a couple of barbeques for the Labor Day holiday, but I decided against them, and instead anticipated having a relaxing day at home. It was mostly relaxing...but then it started raining. The kids and I love the rain! I don't love it enough to move to a town/state where it rains often...contrary, I think I enjoy the rain when it happens in San Diego BECAUSE it doesn't happen regularly...it's a new adventure. In years passed, I have asked Rick to watch Bea so Wyatt and I could feel the rain on our face and jump in the puddles. But on this day, Beatrice graduated to a puddle jumper!



My crouching tiger, and hidden dragon...









We had a great week in school. Some of us learned about the number "5" (amongst other things)...



And counting out "5" puppy chow treats for each "dog bowl"...



After Wyatt helped cook dinner on Tuesday night,



He bit into his corn cob,



And out came is 3rd tooth! His top 2 teeth have been loose for over 6 months, and FINALLY the first of those 2 teeth has come out!



A lot of our old routines are back. MOPS has officially started again, and this week I hosted our first leadership meeting of the Fall Semester. Wyatt's Hip Hop class resumed after a one-month break, which meant, Frozen Yogurt Day was back as well!



This week also brought with it the return of Awana! We have been doing Awana for the last 3 years. And for the last 2 years, (since Bea could talk at the age of 1) Beatrice has been asking EVERY WEEK when she would be allowed to go to Cubbies! Beatrice is a girl who knows what she wants, and she offers no hesitation in telling you (over and over...and over again) her desires. This year, Beatrice was finally old enough to join the Cubbies class. My heart was so happy for her. I am so excited for my daughter to learn more about Jesus through memorizing scripture in the fun atmosphere that Awana provides!



Wyatt unfortunately didn't have as great of a time as his sister did on opening night of Awana...he endured his first bee sting...indoors!? :0(



Thursday...in the morning...we got to pick up Jenni's kiddos and I took them to Play Town while my sister helped out my mom around her house. As usual, the 5 kids had an amazing time with each other. I took a ton of pictures but most of them are totally blurry...the kids were SO BUSY moving from one toy to the next!







But in the final 20 minutes, my niece let me put her in the sling around my body, and we got to (literally) "hang out" together. :0)



Thursday...in the evening...the lights went out! Rick and I laid together on the couch listening to the AM station on our battery powered radio...and the kids chose to watch an episode of Scooby Doo on their battery powered portable DVD player...



And finally, in this week, we are expanding our educational horizons, and teaching the littles about each of our 50 States. Since the time we decided to homeschool our children, Rick has been so excited to do some teaching of his own. He cannot wait until Wyatt is learning Algebra and History...Rick's favorites! But in the mean time, I thought doing this elective series would be an invitation to include Rick in our current educational path. I love my husband! He took this project head on...and prepared a Power Point presentation!!!



We are going State-by-State each week...in the order that the States became a part of the Union. Delaware was the first state in the United States of America...the first of MANY things I learned this week. Did you know...

Cellophane (plastic wrap) was invented in Delaware?...



And that Delaware holds the largest annual Kite festival?...







And that their Salt Water Taffy is famous?...



And that "Delawarians" say "I'm salty" when they are angry, and say that they are "bagging up" when something is REALLY funny, and that they are considered the "Peach State" since their state flower is the Peach Blossom!? Delaware was a lot of fun!





To finish off the week of Delaware, I researched food from Delaware, and prepared my family a FEAST!

I made homemade potato rolls (my FAVORITE item on the menu!)...



Grandma's Corn Puddin'...



Baked Cauliflower with a Custard Sauce (no picture, waaa), fried Crab Puffs...



And for dessert, a fresh peach tart...



Before we ate, Wyatt asked to say the blessing...



(In ALL sincerity...) "Dear Jesus of Delaware, thank you for your Delaware food. Amen."

After reflecting on this week, all I can say is...

Dear Jesus (of Heaven and Earth), thank you for my funny family. :0)

3 comments: