Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Vacation- Day 1

After not riding on an airplane for over 5 years, my day had finally come! I love everything about riding on an airplane...it's all so exciting! While the recent security precautions are disappointing, they are not discouraging. In fact, that increased our fun while waiting in line to pass through security. We had taken bets on who would have to do the body scan, who's carry-on bags would get ransacked, etc. Standing in line only afforded us the opportunity for more conversation and laughter.

My mom, my sister Jenni, and I flew out of San Diego on the morning of Thursday, May 19th. My sister Anna preferred to take a red-eye flight the night before, on Wednesday May 18th, and she flew out of her nearest airport in Los Angeles.

After an expensive breakfast at the McDonalds located in the airport, we made our way on to our flight.

Mom sprung for drinks...



And Jenni had purchased some airplane treats for us the day before...





My sister had brought her nifty tech-trinket "The Nook", and we were able to watch "The Kings Speech" from San Diego to Atlanta.

Just before our plane landed, the pilot came over the loud speaker and stated that he had an important announcement. "Important Announcement" are actually not my 2 favorite words to hear mid-air. My mind was reeling as to what this announcement could be. Eventually the pilot went on to say that during this flight, directly under our feet in the cargo-hold was a fallen marine on our flight. His family was on board, and once we landed, the family had requested that we stay seated while they exited the plane, and after the special guards removed the body from the cargo-hold. There was an overwhelming out pour of emotion and the entire flight began to give a clapping ovation for the family on board. That moment would stay with me for a LONG time. It felt so horrible to be having such a great time with my family, when the reality of our country's state was literally resting on our flight. I couldn't shake the saddened feeling. I spent our entire layover in Atlanta pondering this soldier's life. But after a couple of hours of feeling depressed, it dawned on me that it would be ridiculous for me to let this hinder the excitement our vacation. This soldier fell for our country...protecting our freedoms. I was setting out to enjoy such freedoms on this vacation, and how contrary would it be for me to bring down our vacation with my current state of mind. I am not a robot, so I wasn't able to flick a switch and "move-on", but at some point on our next flight, somewhere in between Atlanta and Savannah, my smile returned.

We arrived in Savannah, a picked up our rental car...



The ladies in my family are HUUUUUUGE fans of the movie of "Steel Magnolias", and so we were stoked to be driving in the South and find a...



My mom, Jenni and I made our way to the hotel where Anna was already there waiting for us. We were going to snap a picture of her when she opened the door, but she was armed with her camera and had the same idea...





Our digs for the next 6 days...







As I had mentioned, my sister Anna had arrived long before us, and she had surprised me with a bottle of champagne, cheeses, crackers, trail mix, and other fun treats...



Jenni had packed a bottle of "Middle Sister" wine in her bag for me and a box of Sees Candy...



By the time we got settled in our room, it was after 8:30pm Eastern time, and we needed to get to dinner before they closed at 10pm. We drove to Tybee Island, and dined at The Crab Shack!



Anna and Jenni shared this...



My mom and I shared this...



Much to my shock and disappointment, my fear of cats was brought to Savannah, GA! At the crab shack there are HUNDREDS of cats that roam this outdoor restaurant. The waitress explained that these are the famous "Shack Cats"! UUUUUUGH! They looked SO scrappy, and my mom kept calling them to our table!



Much to my shock and EXCITEMENT, this restaurant also featured a different creature...the alligator! There were tons of little alligators in a lagoon!



Dining together...



After dinner fun...





We then went back to the hotel, unpacked our things, we were introduced to Anna's "goody drawer" (unfortunately it's not what we thought it was), my mom sat behind the desk in our room and started working, and the 3 of us sisters got into bed and talked until we fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment