Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ups and Downs

What a week! Just like my bathroom scale, this week had many ups and downs.

On Monday we did our standard routine, and I kept things pretty chill after the eventful weekend we had just had. I ran my standard 3 miles in the morning with the kids, we went swimming with Rick after that, and finally I am excited to report that I ran an additional 8 miles in the evening. That is my farthest post-marathon run. My friend Katie has re-joined her running club and last week she was telling me that they were going for a 10 mile run on Saturday. I was unexpectedly 100% genuinely jealous. I wanted to go for a long run. I had only completed a solo 6 mile run since the marathon, and the thought of running 10 miles seemed exciting. I haven't felt that long-run-runner's high in ages! I kept thinking about how I am never going to be able to do that again anytime soon. Now that I am not training for the marathon, I feel selfish asking peeps to watch the kids so I can go spend a couple of hours running. It seemed sad. But then I remembered that every-other Monday night I don't have Bible study, and every-other Monday night, instead of taking a class at the YMCA, I usually do independent exercises at the gym. So instead of doing my usual routine, I had the brilliant idea to hop on a treadmill and just see how long I could run. The childcare only lasts for 90 minutes now, and by the time you actually drop off your kids and pick them up, I really only have about 1 hour and 20 minutes of exercise time. But in that time, I was able to punch out just over 8 miles! It felt AMAZING! Just like "the old days" the first couple of miles were a bear to get through, but once I reached that groove I felt so strong. I definitely could have gone farther. And that was a good feeling to have! :0)

But Tuesday, my body was surely telling me that I hadn't done a long run in long time. My hips were bugging a bit, and my knees were chatting with me too. It was all very manageable, and it only lasted the one day, but I still found it interesting. I went back to the gym on Tuesday morning, and after the gym we were supposed to go visit my friend 2-B at her campsite in Jamul. But the roads were blocked off for a Border Patrol Agent's funeral. The kids were so bummed. :0( So instead, Rick and I took the littles to Chuck-E-Cheese. It was a great time, and God's plan was way better than the one I had! :0) Later that night a friend watched the kiddos, and I met up with my "Happy Hour" crew. My "Happy Hour" group consists of my mom and her 2 friends...and then the daughters of those 3 women. There are 3 older moms, and then 7 of us daughters. But unfortunately, 3 of the "daughters" live out of town, and rarely get to make it to "Happy Hour" gatherings. Prior to the daughters having kids of our own, we used to gather about every-other-month...but with every child we seemed to have, our gatherings came fewer and farther between. Now we get together about twice a year. :0( Anyhow, we had a great time on Tuesday night. My mom decided to put on a cooking class for us. She showed us how to make beautiful and TASTY bruchetta...





We learned how to make homemade Ricotta Cheese...



And then we built delicious salads for dinner...



Just the "Moms"...



Just the "daughters"...



Tuesday was a great day. :0)

Wednesday was another story. This was the day my daughter made me cry, lol. We played things very low key this day, and hung out at the house for the most part. But my Beatrice was just awful. She threw fit after fit after fit. I remained calm the entire day, and I followed up on discipline with each and every tantrum. But you know, it still gets to you. By the end of the evening I went in to the room where my husband was and I just burst into to tears. My daughter had defeated me. My husband was very sweet, and attempted to lift my spirits. I packed the kids up and then we headed to the gym. I have spin class on Wednesdays, and I had arrived at the gym a half hour early. I needed the break from my daughter. I put the kids in childcare and then I hopped on the exercise bike and gave minimal effort to fitness while I read my Bible. After 30 minutes of that, I went down to my spin class and ROCKED IT! I honestly don't think I have EVER sweat so much in my life. Seriously. I felt like a new woman. I picked the kids up from the childcare and we all had much better attitudes...just in time for bed time, LOL! :0)

On Thursday, I had to get started on my baking orders I had for Friday. And after that, we went to visit 2-B at her campsite. This time, our adventure was a success! They stay at Pio Pico campground, and it is SOOO much fun! They have all kinds of games to play...shuffle board, ping pong, basketball, horseshoes, volleyball, miniature golf, etc. They also have a couple of swimming pools, arcade/play room, organized craft sessions for the kids, and random boardgames, puzzles, and books you can checkout while you stay there. It's amazing. You can tent camp, RV camp, or you can even stay in one of their cabins. Very neat. I'm a huge fan...in case you couldn't tell. :0) After we spent a couple of hours there, we went over to my moms for a playdate with my sister and her littles. My sister had been given a bunch of cupcakes from a bakery, and she had requested that we get together to try them all. We sampled the cupcakes...







And the kids tested out Grammy's new slip-n-slide...





2 besties in a tub...





3 boys with bats, what could possibly go wrong!?...



On Friday, I finished up my baking orders. I had one order of lady bug cake pops for a 3 year old's birthday party...





And an order of 2 dozen cookies for a "tween's" birthday party...







After the baking was done...ironically, we jetted off to the dentist. :0) The kids and I had standard check-ups and it was Beatrice's first experience.









No cavities for this family! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment