Lover of Jesus...A Wife...A Mother...A Daughter...A Sister...A Friend...A Runner...A Baker...An Adventurer...yeah, that about sums it up!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rock 'N Roll Marathon (Part 3)

So finally, our corral is at the starting line, and they are counting us down to start. I take one last look behind me, and I am in awe of the crowd. So.many.runners.



I turn back around and focus on the starting line...10...9...8...7...



...6...5...4...3...2...1...(HOOOOOOOORN!) We are off!



I couldn't believe I was actually running the marathon...THE marathon that I had been training 8 months for! It was surreal. Because this race had corrals, there wasn't a ton of jockeying for position like there was at the Safari Park Half Marathon. Everyone was pretty tame, and for the most part, we were all at an even pace. The first mile is always rough. You are getting warmed up. Getting into your groove. The first few miles were a blur. We passed by a few landmarks that Katie and I had noted on our drive through the course just 2 days before. After mile 1, we passed by Mayer Reprographics on University Ave (shout-out to Carrie!), and that was neat. And then after mile 2, we passed by the San Diego Zoo. And by mile 3 we had turned onto El Prado and had entered Balboa Park...





Running through Balboa Park was super cool. There was an actual person playing the organ at the Organ Pavilion...



And we got to run under this funky Rock 'n Roll guy as we were passing by some museums...



My dad and I were feeling good, and we both felt comfortable in our pace. In these types of races, they have what are called "pace groups" that are divide up into time slots. If you want to finish the race in 3 hours, well then you can run with the "3:00" pace group. If you want to finish in 4 and 45 minutes, then you run with the "4:45" pace group. If you stick with that group from the beginning, they promise to stay at an even pace that will bring you to the finish line at exactly the time you are aiming for. When my dad and I started out, we noticed that the "4:30" pace group was just in front of us. In the first couple of minutes we had decided that we wanted to stay with them. They were at a comfortable pace for us. But after mile 3, we were both feeling stronger, and we passed the "4:30" pace group. They were eating our dust. ;0)

At about mile 4 we exited out of Balboa Park, and headed towards Downtown. Different runners were wearing different types of clothing, and carrying different kinds objects. In one case, a runner ran with the American Flag...and my dad "helped" him carry it for a bit...



All along the streets there are crowds cheering for you. And sometimes, there were actual cheerleaders cheering for you. The people on the sidelines were SO MUCH FUN! In future years, if I'm not running in a race, I wanna be cheering on the racers!



There were many encouraging signs, like "You Can Do it!", or "Never Never Never Give Up"...those were OK...but I absolutely LOVED the humerus ones! One said, "My mascara runs faster than you!"...SO FUNNY! And deep into the race there was a group of girls, and one of the girls was holding up a sign that said "Go harder and faster!"...and the girl standing next to her held up sign with a giant arrow pointing next to the first sign, saying, "That's what she said"...my immature little mind LOVES a good "That's what she said" joke, so I was of course a huge fan. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to my camera/phone in time to take pictures of any of the funny signs as we were passing them by...but luckily, one of the funnier things I read that day was in my eye sight for a lot of the race. The man in front of us had this on the back of his shirt...



And of course, even cooler than the funny signs, and the strangers cheering you on, is when you see a FAMILIAR face cheering you on! Somewhere around mile 4 (I think) my friend Julie, from church, and her daughter were standing in the road shouting my name! It was SO exciting! She ran up to me and gave me an extra GU packet that she had brought with her from home to give to me...so sweet!

Just after mile 5 we were still Downtown, and we got to run through "Park in the Park" at Petco Park Stadium...



Just one of the 29 bands playing during the race...



We made it to mile 6 and realized we still had 20 more miles to run...



We turned onto Harbor Dr, and passed the Midway on our left hand side...



At about mile 7 I noticed that my urge to go to the bathroom hadn't gone away since the start of the race. It wasn't a critical situation, but I was mindful of it. I was also mindful of the fact that I hadn't seen restrooms for at least 4 miles! Right around this time, I was shocked to see Julie and her daughter, Alyssa, cheering me on in the crowd yet again! :0)

We left Downtown, and jumped onto highway 163. It was SO thrilling to be running on a freeway that I have (only) driven on MANY times!



We traveled a couple of more miles on the freeway when I noticed a few port-a-potties up ahead with an exceptionally short wait. I had to take the opportunity...who knows when there would be another chance to go the bathroom!? And after all, now I can say, "I went to the bathroom on the 163 wearing a tutu." ;0)

Despite taking a 2 minute pit-stop, we were still making GREAT time! The first 10 miles FLEEEEEEW by!



My dad and I had both been feeling GREAT. But at some point on the 163, the incline gets to you. :0( I didn't realize we were starting to slow down until the "4:30" pace group had not only caught up with us now, but that they had also passed us with almost zero fight! My dad and I just looked at each other like, "Eh. Watcha gonna do?"

Fortunately for my morale, once we ran up a short but STEEP hill exiting the 163 and turning onto Friars Rd., my dad and I were greeted by my Aunt Carol and my Uncle Mark. I gave them both a quick hug, and then had to continue on my way. Seeing those friendly faces does amazing things for your spirits. A short time after that, we passed mile marker number 12, and AGAIN Julie and Alyssa had caught up to me! I have no idea how they made it through the course to see me on 3 separate occasions!?!?...CRAZY...but WELCOMED!!! And speaking of crazy, it was also at this time that I saw the first (of 2) men running this marathon with NO shoes! Literally there was nothing on the bottom of his feet. I asked him how that was working out for him (he looked to be in discomfort, DUH!) and he responded, "It's OK."

I was continuing to do a mental check up on myself, and I was beginning to realize that the miles weren't as light and breezy as those first 10. Apparently my dad was thinking the same thing. He said, "I have to walk for 20 seconds." I told him that I understood, but that I had a goal to not walk at all, so I needed to keep going. I was surprised to find that he had shortly caught up with me. But a few minutes later, he said to me again, "I have to walk for 20 seconds." And I said OK. And again, he caught up with me. But when we reached the 13 mile marker...the halfway point...I turned to tell my dad, "We just ran a half marathon!" he wasn't there. I couldn't see his face in the crowd anywhere. :0(

Had he stopped again? Would he be catching up shortly? Was he OK? He said that we were running this together...where was he???

To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Seriously it is killing me that the suspense is killing me! You tell a good story!!! I'm jealous of all the pictures everyone took. I don't remember running past the zoo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? To be Continued?!! Ok, I'll wait, but just so you know...I don't like waiting...you have me completely captivated!

    ReplyDelete